Worthing History in the Victorian era
Worthing history - key dates 1851-19001852
The power of the Worthing Town Commissioners passes to the newly-formed Worthing Local Board of Health.
The Worthing Record Newspaper first published.
Work starts on the massive yet elegant waterworks on the High Street. The works closed in 1896 and were demolished in the 1920s.
Formation of Worthing's first Fire Brigade.
The Worthing Intelligencer newspaper comes into being. It lasted until 1916, by which time it was called the Worthing Observer.
Bonfire celebrations get out of hand with the Worthing Bonfire Boys attacking the home of John Marsham.
Worthing Pier opens
Heene Terrace completed, the first sign of major development in Heene.
Heene Baths open, providing fresh and sea water swimming for patrons.
Colonel Lane Fox begins to excavate the extensive Iron Age flint mines at Cissbury.
The Warwick Street scandal.
St Botolph's Church in Heene built on the site of Heene Chapel.
Perhaps the worst of the Bonfire Riots, with fighting in the streets and many police and townsfolk injured.
High tides cause particularly bad flooding in South Street.
Homefield Park opened - it was initially called the People's Park.
First known presence of the Salvation Army in Worthing.
The Worthing Gazette rolls off the presses for the first time.
Worthing Infirmary and Dispensary set up on the site of the present day Worthing Hospital.
First anti-Salvation Army riots in Worthing.
The Worthing Madonna controversy.
The last known act of violence against the Salvation Army.
Worthing old pier rebuilt.
West Worthing railway station opened.
Worthing becomes an incorporated borough, merged with West Worthing.
The population of Worthing has grown to 16,000.
By-laws passed to ensure that men and women bathed in separate areas of Worthing beach.
Worthing hit by typhoid epidemic which killed 188 people and made over a thousand other Worthing folk seriously ill.
Oscar Wilde spends a working summer holiday in Worthing, completing The Importance of Being Earnest.
Warwick House, one of the finest early buildings in Worthing, demolished.
A new reservoir opened as a reaction to the typhoid epidemic.
Salvington Mill ceases grinding corn.